[GAP Forum] Online IDE's where one could execute GAP.
[Muniru Asiru] maasiru@yahoo.com
2018-10-25 07:31:10 UTC
***@gap-system.org

Online IDE's where one could execute GAP.

Someone just asked me if there are some online IDE's where one could execute GAP? I do not know. Does anybody know? What do I tell the person? Thanks for any help.
Sincerely,

Dr. Muniru A. Asiru, Department of Mathematics & Statistics, The Federal Polytechnic, P.M.B. 55, Bida, Niger State, Nigeria. OR Dr. Muniru A. Asiru, P.O.Box. 294, Bida, Niger State, Nigeria. Email Addresses: ***@yahoo.com, ***@yahoo.com, Mobile Phone number: +2348034271010
[Muniru Asiru] maasiru@yahoo.com
2018-10-25 07:31:10 UTC
***@gap-system.org

Dmitrii Pasechnik
2018-10-25 07:58:59 UTC
Post by [Muniru Asiru] ***@yahoo.com
Online IDE's where one could execute GAP.
Someone just asked me if there are some online IDE's where one could execute GAP? I do not know. Does anybody know? What do I tell the person? Thanks for any help.
One possibility is to use http://cocalc.com

HTH
Dmitrii
Tim Boykett
2018-10-29 10:13:30 UTC

I think I had some difficulties with CoCalc last time I tried to use it.
I see that Sage also offers SageCell

http://sagecell.sagemath.org/

which may be easier to use. Sage is, as I understand, behind both these
products and includes GAP as one of its modules / factors / components.

Best wishes,

Tim
Dmitrii Pasechnik
2018-10-29 11:01:41 UTC
I think I had some difficulties with CoCalc last time I tried to use it. I
see that Sage also offers SageCell
http://sagecell.sagemath.org/
which may be easier to use. Sage is, as I understand, behind both these
products and includes GAP as one of its modules / factors / components.
sagecell is really not for interactive use. It's meant for embedding
live Sage's code snippets in webpages.

Cocalc is very stable on a fast network - one perhaps needs an up-to
date Chrome browser to use it.
You can then open a terminal window in your browser and run GAP as if
it runs on your computer.
By right, it should also include the latest Jupyter kernel for GAP,
allowing one to run GAP in a Jupyter notebook.
http://gap-packages.github.io/JupyterKernel/
It seems that cocalc does have a problem with it, not sure why.
(Perhaps they did not try the latest version).

HTH
Dima
Best wishes,
Tim
Alexander Konovalov
2018-10-29 11:41:17 UTC
You can try GAP in the Jupyter notebook running in the cloud on a service called Binder here:

https://github.com/gap-system/try-gap-in-jupyter

It now offers GAP 4.9.3 and has almost all packages in the working order (with only a few exceptions).

It is a demo service, and you can run a calculation which does not require much runtime/memory
resources there and then download the resulting notebook on your computer if you want to keep it.

Hope this will be helpful,
Alexander

P.S. Not all packages redistributed with GAP are included with the GAP installation wrapped with SageMath.
Hi,
Post by Dmitrii Pasechnik
Post by [Muniru Asiru] ***@yahoo.com
Online IDE's where one could execute GAP.
Someone just asked me if there are some online IDE's where one could execute GAP? I do not know. Does anybody know? What do I tell the person? Thanks for any help.
One possibility is to use http://cocalc.com
HTH
Dmitrii
Post by [Muniru Asiru] ***@yahoo.com
Sincerely,
Dr. Alexander Konovalov, Senior Research Fellow
Centre for Interdisciplinary Research in Computational Algebra (CIRCA)
School of Computer Science, University of St Andrews
Software Sustainability Institute Fellow
https://alexk.host.cs.st-andrews.ac.uk
--
The University of St Andrews is a charity registered in Scotland:No.SC013532